There are many agricultural support services and operating units at DA-RFU 8 that complement the implementation of the agency’s programs and projects at the same time ensure an effective support to its various operations, activities and commitments.
It includes the nine divisions such as operations, research, planning and monitoring, administrative, budget and finance, regulatory, regional agriculture and fisheries information, agricultural marketing assistance, and the regional agricultural engineering division.
Aside from this, there are also 5 technical facilities and laboratories which play a crucial role in the effective and efficient delivery of basic agricultural services to the farmer-clientele. Each has its distinct functions and responsibilities which can be summarized below:
1. Operations Division – Focuses on three important aspects of extension delivery, such as: improvement of rural live by maximizing food production through the use of improved package of technology, production of improved seeds and planting materials, production of livestock and poultry and the prevention of and control of animal diseases.
2. Research Division – Mandated to generate, adopt and popularize agricultural production technologies, produce quality germaplasm, plant materials and breeder stocks, and provide technical assistance for the improvement of the living standard and resource productivity of farmers and fisherfolk. To carry out DA’s research and development needs, the Eastern Visayas Integrated Agricultural Research Center (EVIARC) and its satellite stations/facilities are established. Main RIARC is located in Babatngon, Leyte, while the rest are found in the municipalities of Abuyog and San Miguel in Leyte, and San Jorge in Samar; five (5) Technologically Advanced Agribusiness Demonstration Stations (TAADS) are located in Malitbog, Gandara, Salcedo, Sogod and Catubig; and six (6) Regional Integrated Laboratory Services in Leyte.
3. Planning and Monitoring – Ensures that the region’s agricultural policies, plans and programs follow the framework of the government’s agricultural development plan.
4. Administrative – Implements guidelines, orders and decrees, and promotes harmonious relationship between management and personnel.
5. Budget and Finance – Reviews and consolidate the budget proposals of different operating units and support services, and closely coordinate with the DBM and DA-Central Office for the approval and releases of funding allocations.
6. Regulatory – Implements rules and regulations on the control and prevention of dangerous and communicable plant and animal diseases in the region. This includes the regulatory service on Plant Quarantine Service and Veterinary Quarantine Service
7. Regional Agricultural and Fisheries Information – Support various operations, activities and commitments of the agency. Print broadcast and audio-visual media reinforce the extension workers in their techno-transfer endeavors
8. Agricultural Marketing Assistance – Joins in trade fairs and missions within and outside the region to promote agricultural and fishery product
9. Regional Agricultural Engineering Group – Takes charge in the engineering designs and construction of farm equipment and facilities including small-scale irrigation projects such as: shallow tube wells, small farm reservoirs, impounding dams, farm to market roads, among others.
10. Regional Soils Laboratory – Analyzes soil samples by type, by individual farm and by barangay, as the basis of fertilizer and lime recommendations.
11. Seed Quality Control Services – Makes available to public high quality seeds with improved superior variety.
12. Regional Crop Protection Center – Helps increase farmer’s income through effective use of suitable and practicable crop production techniques and sustainable resource productivity through crop protection.
13. Regional Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory – Performs routinary laboratory diagnostic procedures on pathological, microbiological, sociological and parasitological examinations.
14. Regional Feed Analysis Laboratory – Conducts routinary chemical analysis on the nutrient contents of common animal feeds and foodstuffs in the development of field formula for the various groups and classes of livestock and poultry.